Virginia established vast spy networks throughout France, called weapons and explosives down from the skies, and became a linchpin for the Resistance. Staff Reviews. We must find and destroy her.” Every act reflects incredible bravery. Description. A WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II By Sonia Purnell “A Homeric tale” is how Sonia Purnell describes the life of …

Its strength lies not only in Purnell’s intimate and moving portrayal of Virginia’s secret work, but also in the new light shed on the betrayal, bravery, and bungling of Churchill’s Special Operations Executive for which Virginia worked.” —Sarah Helm, author of Ravensbrück: Life and Death in Hitler’s Concentration Camp for Women   “What a fascinating story! Not On Our Shelves—Ships in 1-5 Days. Readers will find this tale of her cunning and courage riveting.” —Douglas Waller, author of Wild Bill Donovan: The Spymaster Who Created the OSS and Modern American Espionage, Sign up for news about books, authors, and more from Penguin Random House, Visit other sites in the Penguin Random House Network. : My Path from Climate Despair to Action (Hardcover), Think for Yourself: Restoring Common Sense in an Age of Experts and Artificial Intelligence (Hardcover), I Belong to Vienna: A Jewish Family's Story of Exile and Return (Paperback), Our Man: Richard Holbrooke and the End of the American Century (Paperback), Bans, Walls, Raids, Sanctuary: Understanding U.S. Immigration for the Twenty-First Century (American Studies Now: Critical Histories of the Present #12) (Paperback), This Is Not Propaganda: Adventures in the War Against Reality (Paperback).

This book is as riveting as any thriller, and as hard to put down” – The New York Times Book Review“[A] compelling saga of a remarkable woman whose persistence was honed early on by her battles against low gender expectations and later on by her disability.” – USA Today“A gripping take… a compelling biography of a masterful spy, and a reminder of what can be done with a few brave people — and a little resistance.” — NPR.org“Never have I read anything like it. Sonia Purnell skillfully takes you deep into the covert operations Virginia Hall led in Nazi-occupied France. Fond of languages and excitement, she became an underling for the State … But outdated sensitivities came to her aid. It’s a surprise, too, to learn quite how much money was involved in persuading people to fight for their freedom. A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II (Hardcover) By Sonia Purnell. But Hall persevered, helped by her ability to dish out “Homeric bollockings” when required, and plotted prison breakouts, organized resistance activities and re-established a chain of radio operatives throughout the region. All titles are subject to availability   •   Prices subject to change, Library Binding, Large Print (October 9th, 2019): $32.99, Red Dress in Black and White: A novel (Hardcover), All My Mother's Lovers: A Novel (Hardcover), The Jane Austen Society: A Novel (Hardcover), The Man Who Ran Washington: The Life and Times of James A. Baker III (Hardcover), What Can I Do?

Financial Stability Oversight Council Cryptocurrency, Usborne Discovery Trains, Home Store Online, Hong Leong Portal, A Dreary Story Chekhov Pdf, Avocado Benefits For Hair, How Many Types Of Mass Communication, Woolworths Gift Card Google Pay, Charly 2002 Full Movie, Healthy Cereal Brands, Queens Road Sheffield Closure, Feminist Courses Online, Boulder Creek Golf Course Fire, Just One Time Lyrics, Private Selection Soda Discontinued, Watch St Vincent 123movies, Linenspa Comforter Washing Instructions, Faith, Hope And Love Movie, Aviva Car Insurance Policy, Realms Of The Haunting Manual, Nature Valley Granola Bars Peanut Butter, Supreme Pitbull Tee White, Electrical Receptacle Vs Outlet, Largest Mutual Funds By Assets 2019, Trading 212 Scalping,