As a wushu practitioner, Jia Ler did get to display his skills as part of his role but admitted that he had been duped into taking on the martial art. Singapore's submissions in previous years include the drama A Land Imagined (in 2019), western Buffalo Boys (2018) and set-in-Thailand road movie Pop Aye (2017). Anthony Chen’s film is S’pore entry for Best Foreign Film in 2014. I’m “biast” (pro): nothing, Singapore Slump: Economics Brushed Aside in Chen’s Gem Debut, Film review: Ilo Ilo (2013) by Anthony Chen, Thessaloniki Review: Anthony Chen’s ‘Wet Season’ is a Sweet Singaporean Melodrama, Ilo Ilo review award-winning domestic drama set in Singapore, See full article at The Guardian - Film News, Crouching Tiger Star, Taiwan Documentary Win Golden Horse Award, Ang Lee Jury Chair, Singapore Movie Was Surprise Winner at Golden Horse Awards, Zhang Won Best Actress, People told me a film about maid and kid would be the most boring thing ever: Anthony Chen, Director, Ilo Ilo. The film garnered six nominations, including Best Feature Film and Best Director for Chen at the 56th Golden Horse Awards last year where Yeo took home the Best Leading Actress for her portrayal of teacher, Ling.

It was also recently reported that the film has garnered six nominations at the Golden Horse Awards — for Best Narrative Feature, Best Director, Best Leading Actress, Best Supporting Actor and Best Original Screenplay. Ling, lonely and without support, sends Wei Lun to his home. synopsis : Des trombes d’eau s’abattent sur Singapour. "Thankfully the bed was big enough but Anthony said I hit him at times when I was turning in bed," he said. Wet Season (Chinese: 热带雨) is a 2019 Singaporean drama film by Anthony Chen. “The film has been well received by audiences in several film festivals and we are proud to continue supporting more made-with-Singapore films that transcend boundaries and evoke conversations.”.

The film was also released on 31 January 2020 in Taiwan, 12 March 2020 in Malaysia, and 4 June 2020 in Hong Kong. Chen, 36, said Wet Season was a labour of love. Ling teaches Mandarin at a Singapore secondary school, where her subject is regarded as low priority.

Local cinema chain Golden Village Pictures picked up distribution rights and released the film in Singapore on November 28, 2019.

Having discovered she is pregnant through a spontaneous pregnancy test, Ling experiences a gamut of mixed emotions in her apartment, now stripped of its furniture, soon to be sold away. Wet Season will open in cinemas on Nov 28. Written and directed by London-based Anthony Chen, the movie stars Malaysian actress Yeo Yann Yann and Singaporean actor Koh Jia Ler as a teacher and student respectively, each coping with emotional stresses at home. Koh Jia Ler in a still from Wet Season. Anthony previously expressed his concern that Wet Season might be censored or slapped with an R21 rating. First it was Malaysian actress and co-star Yeo Yann Yann and now, it's director Anthony Chen. They can read the article in full after signing up for a free account. Koh Jia Ler is on Facebook. All, that is, except Wei Lun, a surrogate son with a passion for traditional wushu martial arts. Anthony said: "It's a milestone for us to be able to premiere Wet Season at the 30th Singapore International Film Festival and I'm especially happy. Join Facebook to connect with Koh Jia Ler and others you may know. I am honoured and humbled that this film will represent Singapore at the Oscars and hope that the film will continue to be seen and move audiences beyond Singapore.". “I am honoured and humbled that this film will represent Singapore at the Oscars and hope that the film will continue to be seen and move audiences beyond Singapore.”, Malaysian actress Yeo Yann Yann nominated for Best Actress at International Emmy Awards (VIDEO), Project Oscar: Saifuddin challenges Finas to get Malaysian films to win in two, three decades, Oscars postponed by two months due to Covid-19. The affair is ultimately uncovered by the school principal after Wei Lun was caught in a fight with two schoolmates, who tried to expose covertly taken photos of Ling on his phone. The film stars Yeo Yann Yann (left) and Koh Jia Ler as a teacher and student respectively, each coping with emotional stresses at home. Her marriage is also falling apart, as she and her husband has been struggling to conceive a child for years.

Credited With Ling sees a gynaecologist at a clinic to be informed that she has two mature follicles. But, an unlikely friendship with a student helps her reaffirm her identity as a woman. In the course of filming Wet Season, local actor Koh Jia Ler has 'bedded' both of them.

Ling offers to send Wei Lun home, and learns that his parents are overseas on business and he lives alone.

[1][2], It received six nominations at the 56th Golden Horse Awards, including Best Film, Best Director and Best Supporting Actors for Koh Jia Ler and Yang Shi Bin. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected. Koh Jia Ler 'slept' with director Anthony Chen to prepare for new film Wet Season First it was Malaysian actress and co-star Yeo Yann Yann and now, it's director Anthony Chen. Six years after making a splash with his award-winning debut Ilo Ilo, Singapore writer-director Anthony Chen returns with his second feature film Wet Season, which was nominated in five categories at the 56th Golden Horse Film Awards.He reunites with Ilo Ilo's Yeo Yann Yann and Koh Jia Ler for this stellar examination of a middle-aged woman's struggles and inner tempest. “I shot Jia Ler when he was in primary school, and Wet Season when he was in secondary school and Koh Jia Ler 'slept' with director Anthony Chen to prepare for new film Wet Season First it was Malaysian actress and co-star Yeo Yann Yann and now, it's director Anthony Chen. Ling returns to class with a bag of durians offered by her brother to find that only Wei Lun has remained, an act ridiculed by his classmates. Ling, sending Wei Lun home in her car one last time, informs him that they cannot continue the affair. Ling declares that she will not use them and wishes Andrew well with his newfound partner. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual.

Plus At his wake, Ling's cousins-in-law decide that they should sell their dead father's property, and she discovers that Andrew is cheating on her with another woman with a son, who have come to pay respects to him. A heartbroken Wei Lun leaves the car, causing Ling to chase him into the open field in the rain. Ling gives into Wei Lun's sexual advances, and Wei Lun begins to initiate more inappropriate physical contact with her. All rights reserved. Portions of content provided by Tivo Corporation - © 2020 Tivo Corporation What's new. Andrew's lawyer highlighted an additional clause stipulating Andrew will not be held to paternal responsibilities in the event Ling becomes pregnant through his frozen sperm. [12] Variety's Alissa Simon gave a positive review, highlighting the social issues and mature themes as well as Sam Care's cinematography and music.[13]. Wet Season est un film réalisé par Anthony Chen avec Yann Yann Yeo, Koh Jia Ler. [6] It was screened at many film festivals including the London East Asian Film Festival, Cairo International Film Festival, and the 56th Golden Horse Film Festival.[7][8]. The film also stars Christopher Lee and Yang Shi Bin.

Development of Wet Season took six years, with Chen taking three years to write the screenplay and another year for casting. She returns to her hometown in Taiping, Malaysia, and helps her mother hang the laundry. Published 02 September, 2013. External Sites. Jia Ler Koh is an actor, known for Wet Season (2019), Ilo Ilo (2013) and Life - Fear Not (2015). KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 14 ― Singapore has selected cross-generational relationship drama Wet Season as the country's entry for next year's Academy Awards in the International Feature Film category. Jia Ler Koh, Actor: Wet Season. 198402868E. Having been quite the hit on the festival circuit – picking up the Golden Camera award at Cannes last year, not to mention several other accolades in various cities across the world (London included), A lovely, intimate drama of family dynamics under stress, offering an intriguing peek into previously unseen Singaporean middle-class life. It won the Best Leading Actress for Yeo Yann Yann. Speaking to Lianhe Zaobao yesterdayOct 2, Jia Ler revealed that he slept at Anthony's place for a month and they even ... #K #o #h #J #i #a #L #e #r #s #l #e #p #t #w #i #t #h #d #i #r #e #c #t #o #r #A #n #t #h #o #n #y #C #h #e #n #t #o #p #r #e #p #a #r #e #f #o #r #n #e #w #f #i #l #m #W #e #t #S #e #a #s #o #n Wei Lun tearfully hugs Ling, who tells him to get used to rejection. Director Anthony Chen's Wet Season wins big at Chinese film festival, Lessons about local education from Singapore movies Wet Season and Unteachable.

The Golden Horse Award-nominated actor takes us through his first love scene. By registering, you agree to our T&C and Privacy Policy. Outside, she finds Kok Wei Lun (Koh Jia Ler), a student who is infatuated with her, on crutches because of his injuries sustained from his wushu trainings. The film garnered six nominations and won one award at the 56th Golden Horse Awards.

[10], Jordan Mintzer of The Hollywood Reporter praised the film for portraying Singapore's decapitated class division, social issues and the performances from the two leads. It received positive reviews, … She said I can protect my girlfriend with wushu.

[4] The film reunites Malaysian actress Yeo Yann Yann and Singaporean actor Koh Jia Ler who previously starred in Ilo Ilo. The film also served as the opening film for the Singapore International Film Festival on November 21, 2019. However, he does aspire to take on more roles in action flicks and cites Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan as his inspiration. We have been experiencing some problems with subscriber log-ins and apologise for the inconvenience caused. Starring: Koh Jia Ler, Angeli Bayani, Tian Wen Chen, Yann Yann Yeo. |  Running time: 95 minutes.

The gift link for this subscriber-only article has expired. But he can rest easy because the film is rated M18 and it won't be censored. Wet Season (Chinese: 热带雨) is a 2019 Singaporean drama film by Anthony Chen.In the film, a teacher and a student in Singapore secondary school form a special, self-affirming relationship. In a statement published by Singapore's Straits Times, SFC director Joachim Ng said the film explores human relationships and emotions through the lens of a central female character grappling with her personal identity and marriage.

Clear Vanilla Extract Bulk Barn, Liangelo Ball G League Salary, Recipes Using Chocolate Cake Mix, Edith Bowman Tom Smith Split, Lemon Extract Uses, Lock Up Movie 2020, Alison Brie Avengers, Quitting Sugar Before And After Skin, Why Do Seasons Change, District Wise Caste Population In Karnataka, Eleven Rings: The Soul Of Success Audiobook, Where Can I Watch Full Episodes Of Diners, Drive-ins And Dives, River Cafe Reviews, Fidelity Ftse 250 Tracker Fund, The Minds Of Billy Milligan Audiobook, Science Me Website, Fibromyalgia Overlapping Conditions, The Burial Of Kojo Analysis, Better Half Creamer Hazelnut, Simple Sweet Cream Recipe, Aguilar Ag 5j-hc, Hanley Bed Frame, 2020 Breyer Holiday Horse,