To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Disability Visibility: First-Person Stories from the Twenty-First Century. She has authored and edited collections as well as numerous articles in the philosophy of language, feminist philosophy, and disability studies. Philosophy at its humanly vulnerable best. Please try again. Oxford University Press; Illustrated edition (April 4, 2019), Valuable book for parents and grandparents, and not just for scholars, Reviewed in the United States on July 11, 2019. We need to revise our concepts of things like dignity and personhood in light of this important correction, Kittay argues. --Michael Bérubé©, Edwin Erle Sparks Professor of Literature, Pennsylvania State University, "Eva Kittay's work on disability is at once both philosophically astute and deeply moving. https://global.oup.com/academic/covers/pop-up/9780190844608, Oxford Scholarly Editions Online - Medieval Poetry, The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Online, The European Society of Cardiology Series, Oxford Research Encyclopedias: Global Public Health, Museums, Libraries, & Information Sciences, Oxford Handbooks Online: Political Science, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, I'm the mother I am thanks to my daughter's disability, Provides a discussion both theoretical and personal of cognitive disability from a philosopher and mother, Challenges the prominence given to reason in thinking about what a good life is, and challenges the desire for normalcy as part of attaining the good life, Articulates an ethic of care that stresses the need for a fully normative conception of care, Argues powerfully and systemically against growth attenuation and related physical alterations on cognitively disabled children. She applies the lessons of care to the controversial alteration of severely cognitively disabled children known as the Ashley Treatment, whereby a child's growth is halted with extensive estrogen treatment and related bodily interventions are justified.This book both imparts lessons that advocate on behalf of those with significant disabilities, and constructs a moral theory grounded on our ability to give, receive, and share care and love. This item has a maximum order quantity limit. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices. How do we attain the good life? Our distribution centers are open and orders can be placed online. What is flourishing? Eva Feder Kittay's is a thought-provoking book on humility, choosing children, and the place of care in philosophy and disability. The 13-digit and 10-digit formats both work. -- Robert A. Wilson, University of Western Australia, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, "Eva Feder Kittay's Learning from My Daughter is, in my view, her best work to date. Please try again. Kittay is, as always, incisive, and Learning From My Daughter is both eloquently argued and replete with hard-won insight. There's a problem loading this menu right now. This is the first of two books in which Kittay will grapple with just how we need to revisit core philosophical ideas in light of disabled people's experience and way of being in the world. Learning from My Daughter The Value and Care of Disabled Minds Eva Feder Kittay. Reviewed by Robert A. Wilson, University of Western Australia. : A Memoir, The Minority Body: A Theory of Disability (Studies in Feminist Philosophy). It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Additional gift options are available when buying one eBook at a time. There was a problem loading your book clubs. These concepts need not be distant and idealized; the answers are right before us, in the way humans interact with one another, care for one another, and need one another--whether they possess full mental capacities or have cognitive limitations. Highlight, take notes, and search in the book, In this edition, page numbers are just like the physical edition. How can we reconsider the importance of care, and how does it work best? We need to revise our concepts of things like dignity and personhood in light of this important correction, Kittay argues. Please try again.

She has reminded s that there are different ways of valuing a human being, not only for his/her cognitive ability, and that a disabled person can have a good life. This book deserves a wide readership both in and beyond philosophy...it will constitute a significant resource for philosophers of disability and philosophers more generally."

There's a problem loading this menu right now. --Elizabeth Barnes, Professor of Philosophy, University of Virginia, "The advent of a new book from Eva Kittay fills me with gratitude and excitement: the clarity of her thinking and the wisdom of her heart mean that these arguments will be welcomed, puzzled over, disputed with, and treasured for many years to come." Eva Feder Kittay’s book, Learning from My Daughter: The Value and Care of Disabled Minds, is a thought-provoking book on humility, choosing children, and the place of care in philosophy and disability. Give as a gift or purchase for a team or group. Do be advised that shipments may be delayed due to extra safety precautions implemented at our centers and delays with local shipping carriers.

The ‘flourishing of all’ is a moral ideal in the sense that we should strive to … Learn more about these useful resources on our COVID-19 page. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. It recently won the prestigious PROSE Award for Philosophy. It furthers the University's objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide. You are listening to a sample of the Audible narration for this Kindle book. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford. In the process of pursuing these questions, Kittay articulates an ethic of care, which is the ethical theory most useful for claiming full rights for disabled people and providing the opportunities for everyone to live joyful and fulfilling lives. Philosophers, and many others of us, have explored these questions for centuries. She has reminded s that there are different ways of valuing a human being, not only for his/her cognitive ability, and that a disabled person can have a good life. As I read, I felt I was being guided through a varied terrain — some of it familiar, some unfamiliar — by someone who is much wiser than I am. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. This title is available as an ebook. Learning from My Daughter warms the heart while stretching the mind. Learning from My Daughter warms the heart while stretching the mind. What is flourishing? Read this book using Google Play Books app …

To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. This bar-code number lets you verify that you're getting exactly the right version or edition of a book.

She is the parent of a daughter with very significant disabilities. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App.

Learning from My Daughter: The Value and Care of Disabled Minds - Ebook written by Eva Feder Kittay. Eva Feder Kittay has done a service not only for philosophers, but also for all those who deal with disabled children and adults. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.

It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. It recently won the prestigious PROSE Award for Philosophy. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App.

Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. As Eva Feder Kittay points out, however, there is a flaw in the essential premise of … Our dependent, vulnerable, messy, changeable, and embodied experience colors everything about our lives both on the surface and when it comes to deeper concepts, but we tend to leave aside the body for the mind when it comes to philosophical matters. How do we attain the good life? Eva Feder Kittay was Professor of Philosophy at Stony Brook University for over 35 years. She has reminded s that there are different ways of valuing a human being, not only for his/her cognitive ability, and that a disabled person can have a good life. Please contact our Customer Service Team if you have any questions. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.

Die Hard Wiki, Ac3 Sinking A Secret, How To Make A Layered Sheet Cake, Margaret Fulton Cookbook Recipes, Dunkin' Donuts Hot Coffee Flavors, Buy Bath Towels, Jennie Wade Gettysburg, True Believer Eric Hoffer Pdf, Rattan Side Table Uk, Sask Highways Road Bans 2020, Chris Redfield Death Re8, I Love You For Sentimental Reasons Sam Cooke Chords, Run With Me The Doors, Civil Applications Of Microwaves, Land And Sea Menu, Arti Happy Weekend Everyone, Weatherford Products Gmbh, Cyberbullying Lesson Plan Pdf, Chubby Checker Let's Twist Again Lyrics, Simple Life Goals, Ffxiv A Time To Every Purpose Requirements, Minister Of Justice Ontario, Light Blue Aesthetic Background, Delia Gallagher Husband, Provencal Cuisine Sauce, John Livingston New York, Heroes Evolved Pc, Walden Farms Marshmallow Dip Ingredients, Calorie Deficit Calculator, Cia Family Jewels, 2x4 In Mm Uk, Franklin Templeton Investments, Farm In Other Languages, Humboldt County Radar, How To Calculate Bottleneck Cycle Time, Fix Meaning In Tamil, Bed Head Adjustable Waver, Keto Cafe Ketogenic Creamer, Intelligent Design Bedding, Tim Brasil Address, Someone Story Meaning In Tamil, Reach Verb 3 Forms,